Thursday, September 6, 2007

5-Things

OK, here is me, the one who NEVER does these meme's (except that once)...and I am going to shoot for it. Maybe it will get my mind thinking and off all this other stuff that is going on. So here we go.

5-Things you may not know about me:

1. I was a cheerleader in Jr. High and High School. I think there was one year I did not cheer (and it was more a political thing than anything). The funny thing is, you would not peg me as a typical cheerleader type (I know, stereotyping). I definitely did not hang around with the cool crowd, but some how, cheerleading was my niche and I was good at it and I was accepted by the "cooler" crowd and my cheerleading was accepted by my "nerd" crowd.

2. I never smoked a cigarette or drank an ounce of alcohol until I went to college. I was one of those kids that was part of the "No drinking oath" crowd who just didn't think it was a "cool" thing to do. But then I hit college and woa...that all changed. I was a drinking and smoking fool. Mainly for the social aspect. My last official day of smoking was the beginning of 2002. I may have an occasional cigarette now and then bummed from a friend, but that is usually after I have had way too much to drink and my ambitions are completely shot. However, they ALWAYS make me feel more horrible than the drinking alone did. Not sure how I was able to do it before, the taste is awful. Drinking, well, never gave that one up! I am a grownup now...

3. I became a Christian in July of 2001. My father had passed away in February, and I just felt lost. I masked a lot of the pain with alcohol, but then realized I needed to give my life up in order to get through this grieving. Wow, what a change in my life. I look back now at the person I was and wonder how I survived without God in my life all those years. Honestly, girls, it was pathetic. And I owe it all to God for keeping me under His wing and knowing that one day I would turn my life over to Him. Looking back, there were many times when He was there, egging me on, giving me moral advice, putting Christians in my life to guide me...and I had no clue. I see that now, but not then. Funny how life is.

4. When I was in college, I had a pet turtle. One weekend my mom went walking by the river and found this tiny little turtle, brought it home, and I made it my pet. Now this was about the size of a quarter when she found it. We had a tiny fish bowl for it...after a year or so, it grew to the size of a melon, and we realized it was a snapper. I continued to keep it on after college when it would eat 2-3 dozen goldfish in a few minutes. I couldn't keep up with it and had to let it go into a local pond down in Central Illinois. I am sure he loved the freedom and non stop fish. Not sure he really survived the winter, or the other animals, but I like to think he is one of the oldest turtles in the pond now and can tell stories of how he was picked up by this nice lady and taken care of for a few years. We called him Chutchney. My mom named him, not sure where the name came from, but it seemed to fit.

5. I love to garden. Not vegetable gardens, but flowers and plants, etc. There is something about being outside and turning what once was an area of weeds or grass or rubbish, into a beautiful sanctuary of flowers and shrubs. Whether they are annuals or perennials, all the same. They are beautiful. I also have plenty of plants throughout the house. I have not had as much time lately to take care of them, so many of them have perished, but I seem to have a green thumb. And I often assume everyone has a green thumb...which is not true.

I did it, yeahhhhh!!! I feel like there is so much else to share, in due time, I am sure.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Very good and interesting meme! You guys are still in my thoughts. Hang in there.

Mrs. Taco said...

It was so fun to read about you! All the things that I didn't know. And you're right, I never would have pegged you for a cheerleader. Not a nerd, but not a cheerleader either. :o) And how funny that you had a pet turtle! And you will definitely have to give me pointers on the gardening thing. I have a pretty decent flower garden - area - in our backyard. I didn't get a chance to really do anything with it this past summer but am definitely wanting to try my hand at it next summer. You will have to tell me what I should plant and when and......oh, we'll talk! :p

Anonymous said...

I did this one too, and I agree that there was more that I wanted to share too! It was fun to read about you and your five things. You were right - I didn't know any of that.

I'd love to have a pet turtle... that seems easier than a cat or dog if they don't grow too big. I also love to grow flowers and plants too. It's very therapeutic.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Kas said...

I'm glad you played along! I love reading about everyone and getting to know you all better. I hope things are getting better for your family. You all are still in my thoughts and prayers!

Rachel said...

Hey! Thanks for the compliment! You made my day!

Jenny said...

I love the turtle story. I like the idea too of thinking that he is the oldest turtle still hanging around the pond. How cute!